Life in Sierra Leone is filled with struggles and hardship. Today I am writing out of grief and concern for two of my friends, “I” and “X”. They are a married couple that have become close to me in the short time I have been in Sierra Leone. “I” is a plumber and has worked hard on many projects for us, including the Hope Center. “X” has a small cook shop next to the Hope Center. Many days, I find myself there enjoying rice and cassava leaf soup while sharing conversation with my neighbors. My friends are of a different faith and are a family I have been praying for for quite some time.
Sunday night I received a phone call from one of my friends who is a security guard at the Hope Center. He explained to me that a house was burning near the Hope Center, but did not disclose any names. I was in a neighboring community, Grafton, and could not come when I received the phone call. The next morning, I was told that the house belonged to my friends “I” and “X”. It appears their youngest son was playing with matches in another room and caused the fire. When “X” saw the smoke she gathered the children and ran outside. They were unable to save anything in their house apart from the clothes they were wearing.
The next morning I was able to gather some of my own things: clothes, cooking utensils, cookware, etc. to try and help them. When I arrived, we found many people had gathered to give support to them. The looks on their faces were nothing short of devastation. Just imagine living in Africa, working hard many years to survive and acquire a home for yourself. In an instant, it all evaporates and your left with nothing. I cannot imagine their heartache and loss. I just pray that through this experience they will see the love and provision of God through the people of God.
I ask that you all pray for their protection, provision and for the opportunity to minister to my friends. Pray that God will use even this trial in their lives for His Glory. Pray that God will give me wisdom as I try to pray with, talk to and console this family. Pray for a miracle in their lives.
I love you all! Thank you for your love and prayers.
No comments:
Post a Comment